Educational Results Partnership believes that actionable achievement data and best practices from high performing schools are the best tools to raise academic achievement. All schools face difficulties and challenges. However, we believe strongly that all children in our state can reach grade-level proficiency and that schools can close achievement gaps by following these five basic strategies proven to work in high performing schools:
- Use data to guide instruction
- Dispel common myths and excuses using data and best practices
- Visit high performing, look-a-like schools to learn what works
- Conduct productive, organized and focused grade level meetings
- Regularly adjust and target assistance based upon evidence of what is or is not working
Connect with High-Performing Schools
- Honor Roll Schools - California Business for Education Excellence (CBEE) annually identifies schools that are raising student achievement and closing achievement gaps for all students. Visiting these schools can help you create a vision for improvement at your school.
- Sortable Star Schools List - Sort the list of Star schools (schools with significant levels of poverty) for a specific subgroup to find those schools who are reaching the highest levels of achievement for that group of students.
- Sortable Scholar Schools List - Sort the list of Scholar schools (schools without significant levels of poverty) for a specific subgroup to find those schools who are reaching the highest levels of achievement for that group of students.
- 5 Simple Strategies Presentation - This presentation provides 5 simple strategies for reform that can be implemented quickly to benefit student achievement.
- Data Presentation Template - This PowerPoint is a template into which you can cut and paste data charts from the EdResults.org web site to present to a staff, parent group, etc.
- Data Tools Tutorial - This is a walkthrough of the data resources available on the EdResults.org web site.
- Best Practice Tools Tutorial - This is a walkthrough of the Best Practices resources available on the EdResults.org web site.
- Do You Believe? Video - High performing schools start with high expectations for all students. Listen to how one Dallas ISD student explains this idea to 20,000 educators at their annual convocation.
- Early Assessment Program Best Practice Study - This study focused on an analysis of student performance data on the CSU Early Assessment Program (EAP) and the California Standards Test (CST). Public high schools were then investigated that have shown steady improvement in raising student academic achievement and in particular have outperformed expectations in preparing students for college as measured by the EAP.
- STAR Sample Test Questions - This site provides sample test questions for each grade-level and subject area for the STAR test. It also provides the ability to drill down to the 5 proficiency levels.
- Screen Capture Video [small - medium - large] of presentation by Dr. James Lanich to the California Charter School Assocation in June 2011. The video provides a good walkthrough of the EdResults.org web site and the resources available. Quicktime player required.
EdResults partner, the Verizon Foundation, provides Thinkfinity.org - a website containing thousands of free lesson plans and student materials for every core subject, designed by leading educational organizations in the U.S. Thinkfinity also provides free professional development to help teachers maximize use of the tool.